1. How prone we are to vanity
ÊÊ Even in the noblest things.
ÊÊ We study doctrine with great zeal,
ÊÊ Yet miss the grace it brings.
2. Though we might know all mysteries,
Ê Deep truths explore and find,
Ê There is no profit without love
Ê In filling up our minds.
3. For if we speak but have not love,
Ê We're like a sounding brass,
ÊÊ And are but nothing even if
Ê All knowledge we amass.
4. We give our gifts to help the poor,
Ê To serve and clothe and feed,
ÊÊ And proudly think that we've done well
When we're the ones in need.
5. We pray for others in their sins,
Exulting in our skill
ÊÊ At plucking specks from others' eyes,
While beams obstruct ours still.
6. Now Father, bring us to our knees,
Our hearts before You bowed.
ÊÊÊ Come humble us with truth and grace,
Cast down the great and proud.
7. Protect us from the deadly path
Of holding truth in pride.
ÊÊÊ Fill us with faith and hope and love,
In these help us abide.