Pages from My Prayer Book
Over the past many years, I have compiled a Prayer Book. It includes people I remember in prayer (family, church members, students and colleagues at the college where I teach), lyrics to songs (songs I have written, songs I find meaningful), Scripture passage (for meditation and memorization), as well as other notes and quotes.
One of the pages I visit often is an encouragement to learn patience and rest in Christ. On the page is a list of truths to remember (and preach to myself!) when facing difficult and uncertain times. I wrote down the list many years ago while taking notes in a Sunday School class. I don’t remember the date, but the class was taught by Steve Garrick when my family and I were at Heritage Baptist Church in Mansfield, Texas.
The notes have been valuable in pointing me many times back to God’s Word. In the uncertain times we face today, I hope you find them valuable as well.
Rest in Christ
Help me, Lord, to grow in patience and longsuffering, to learn more and more to rest in Christ.
Help me to remember:
- God is absolutely sovereign. I must trust Him fully and not lean on my own understanding.
- God is always good—always. I must look to the cross and remember: He loves me and will do everything needed to complete the good work begun in me.
- God gave me my life for His glory, not the pursuit of my own pleasure. I must walk in contentment, submissive to His will.
- God never reveals my future or explains His decrees. I must walk by faith and not by sight.
- God hold me responsible for all my thoughts, actions, and reactions. I must walk in humble obedience to His Word.
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law” (Galatians 5:22–23).
Here is a link to a PDF of the page from my Prayer Book.